SEOUL (South Korea): The South Korean military’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said that North Korea has fired two ballistic missiles in less than a week after launching two new short-range ballistic missiles.
The JCS said that the projectiles were launched early on Wednesday from the Hodo Peninsula in South Hamgyong Province on North Korea’s east coast.
An official at JCS said that the two missiles flew around 250 kilometres at an altitude of 30 kilometres before falling into the East Sea.
South Korean officials said the two missiles appeared to be of different type than the missiles launched on Thursday.
The JCS said it was monitoring the situation in case of additional launches and is on standby.
“The North’s repeated missile launches are not helpful to an effort to ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula and we urge (North Korea) to stop this kind of behavior,” a JCS statement said.
Earlier on Wednesday, Japan’s defence minister said any ballistic missile launch by North Korea would violate United Nations resolutions.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, however, said that the launches were “no threat to Japanese national security.”
Colonel Lee Peters, a spokesman for US military forces in South Korea, said: “We are aware of reports of a missile launch from North Korea and we will continue to monitor the situation.”
He did not comment when asked whether the joint South Korea-US drills, scheduled to begin next month, would continue.