DAMASCUS: The United Nations has said that Syrian regime’s air raid in the country’s last rebel-held enclave have killed more than 100 civilians in the past 10 days according to the United Nations, which said the three-month campaign has displaced more than 400,000 people.
UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet said that the 103 dead from the recent air attacks on schools, hospitals, markets and bakeries included at least 26 children,.
Bachelet said that that the rising toll had been met with “apparent international indifference”.
The targets of the attacks were ‘civilian objects’ and it seems highly unlikely, given the persistent pattern of such attacks, that they are all being hit by accident,” she said in a statement.
Backed by its main ally, Russia, the Syrian government began its offensive against the rebel enclave in northwest Syria – the last area of active opposition to President Bashar al-Assad – at the end of April, saying it was responding to violations of a ceasefire.
Since then, “more than 400,000 people have been displaced,” David Swanson, spokesman for the UN office for the coordination of humanitarian affairs (OCHA), said on Friday.
The region under attack is home to some three million people, nearly half of them already displaced from other parts of the war-ravaged country. It covers nearly all of Idlib province and parts of neighbouring Aleppo, Hama, and Latakia provinces.
Idlib and surrounding areas of the northwest were included in a “de-escalation” deal in September between Russia and Turkey, which backs some rebel groups, to reduce warfare and bombardment.
However, the accord was never fully implemented after fighters refused to withdraw from a planned buffer zone. Instead, the bombardment increased in intensity in recent weeks.
The region is mostly controlled by Hay’et Tahrir al-Sham, led by al-Qaeda’s former Syria affiliate.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based war monitor, has said more than 730 civilians have been killed in aerial bombardment and shelling of the region by the Syrian government and its allies since the end of April.