Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has said that Iran does not want war and no country has the illusion it could confront Iran.
State news agency IRNA quoted Zareef as saying that he does not believe a war will break out in the region as Tehran does not want a conflict and no country has the “illusion it could confront Iran.
Tension flared up in the region after US warships and bombers were deployed in the Middle East to counter an unexplained ‘threat’ from Iran.
Earlier this week the US also pulled some diplomatic staff from its embassy in Baghdad following weekend attacks on four oil tankers off the coast of the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Zareef said that there would be no war because neither Iran want a war, nor has anyone the idea or illusion that it can confront Iran in the region.
Meanwhile, Saudi media reported that the kingdom and a number of Gulf states have agreed to a request by the US to redeploy the latter’s military forces in Gulf waters and territories.
The approval was given as per the bilateral agreements between Washington and Gulf countries.
The motive for redeployment is said to deter Iran from any attempt to escalate the situation militarily, not to engage in a war with it.
This all takes root in US President Donald Trump’s decision last year to withdraw the US from the 2015 nuclear accord between Iran and world powers and impose wide-reaching sanctions.
The move came even as the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has verified that Tehran has upheld its obligations under the deal.
Last week, Time magazine quoted Pentagon officials as saying there was no military plan to confront Iran.
On the Iranian side, the Guardian newspaper reported in an exclusive report on Thursday that Tehran had ordered its militias in the Middle East to prepare for a proxy war.