KARACHI: SheEarns, an initiative launched by a Dubai based Pakistani entrepreneur, is helping Pakistani women start their own sustainable businesses. 100 women out of 1,700 applicants qualified for the first round of #WomenInEconomy program under the umbrella of SheEarns.
Ladies who were selected in the first round proved sustainable business models for their small businesses of Made in Pakistan handicrafts, leather products, beauty and food services. SheEarns vows to provide opportunities to these qualified business women to exhibit their products and services to a much wider business audience locally and internationally through a series of exhibitions in Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Peshawar, Dubai and London – all free of cost to exhibitors.
The first exhibition in the series is being held at PACC (Pakistan American Cultural Centre) on 9th December, in which ambassadors and foreign visitors will be interacting directly with the women entrepreneurs selected by SheEarns. The pitch of these small businesses will be to seek foreign investments and gain a larger business platform, as well as to sell their products directly to consumers, without any intermediary.
In the next round, these women entrepreneurs will be provided with personality grooming and pitching training by SheEarns, to prepare them for Momentum, the leading startup conference and exhibition in Pakistan, with the hope to generate foreign investment and export revenue that contributes to Pakistan’s economy.
“When I was struggling, there was no one to help me and my family out financially. Even today, women are being abused and are struggling the same way as I was suffering a decade ago, mainly because of financial pressures,” Mehwish concluded by sharing her heart-melting story of struggles and success.
The founder also shared her plans for financial inclusion of women in Pakistan’s economy and sustainability to contribute towards United Nations’s sustainable development goals including SDG 5 on gender balance.
The session was moderated by anchorperson Ms. Hadeel Sahal Albalushi. A large number of celebrities, renowned personalities, politicians, government officials, philanthropist and media personalities were part of the brunch:
These include, but are not limited to:
- Mr. Hunaid Lakhani (Chancellor, Iqra University)
- Mr. Alamgir Khan (MNA Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf)
- Mr. Arsalan Taj Ghumman (MPA Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf)
- Mr. Adeel (MPA Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf)
- Ms. Fiza Zeeshan (SVP Women’s Wing Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf)
- Mr. Kaukab Iqbal (Chairman, Consumer Association of Pakistan)
- Mr. Sohail Hashmi (Actor)
- Mr. Shakeel Hussain (Actor)
- Mr. Ayaz Khan (Actor)
- Ms. Unsa Shah (Tarrot Card Reader)
- Ms. Erum Ali (Actor)
- Mr. Raheel Akhtar (Anchor)
- Mr. Ahsan Umar (Anchor)
- Mr Rasheed Noorani (Director IVS)
- Mr. Rashid Hashmi (CEO, Hashmi Group)
- Mr. Arsalan Hashmani (CEO Hashmani Hospitals)
- Mr. Zeeshan (CEO Growth fashion online)
- Mr. Karim Jinnah (Editor Police Report Sindh) and
- Ms. Nadya Mistry (Fashion Designer and Entrepreneur)
- Mr. Salman Shaikh (Director)
- Mr. Mahmood Ali (MD Films)
- Mr. Shoaib Saleem (MeatOne)
- Ms. Sana Ghori (Express News)
- Mr. Faizan Lakhani (Geo News)
- Mr. Abid Beli (Serial Entrepreneur)
- Mr. Syed Azfar Hussain (Startup Coach)